Wednesday 28 October 2009

Possible re-discovery of a family heirloom

Yesterday, my grandmother and mother were visiting, and as we were having tea - coffee and walnut cake made by me; fruit tea loaf made by granny - my grandmother suddenly asked whether the standard lamp in my sitting room might have come from her childhood home. We traced back how it had come into my possession; my parents had given it to us when we bought our first house, and it was, inexplicably, then painted bright blue. ( It was the nineties....I later painted it off-white, which it now is.) My mother had inherited the lamp from her aunt, who had inherited it in turn from her mother, my great-grandmother. So, indeed, it was the same lamp my grandmother remembered from her mother's living room, from the early 1930s.

It was pleasing to think how much use that lamp has given to several generations of the family. Given its age, I thought it would be nice to see how it would look back to its original wood finish, and I have started to look into removing, or having removed, the various layers of paint, so we can see how it looks underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment