Wednesday 17 February 2010

The cupboards are feeling bare...

I've mentioned that we've implemented a cash food jar each week; although we've managed to stay within budget - £50 - every week so far, one of the side effects is that we have been using up some of the odds and ends in our larder and freezer, to keep within our cash limit.

However, I'm now starting to panic slightly at the fact that our stores of food are running unusually low; I suppose that the only time this would actually matter would be if we were snowed in, or overtaken by some other natural disaster, and  I think that if that happened, we'd find enough to eat for quite a few - probably rather dull - meals. In the meantime, I should probably try and get used to our new 'just-in-time' system.....

P.S I am not sure whether £50 a week is a lot or a little, for two people (and one cat)?  It is definitely less than we were spending before we started this system.  We have included small-scale entertaining and wine in that figure, and lunches, as we pack these ourselves.   Any meals out come out of our 'fun' jar.

2 comments:

  1. £50! I'm impressed...I must try harder. Or blame the nappies for our outrageous supermarket spend. Or in fact the £3 DVDs on sale...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should think nappies are a major expense... Besides, at the moment we're still using up the contents of the larder as back-up, so we will see how long we can manage once those are gone!

    ReplyDelete